Thursday, October 7, 2010

silence

I suggested a book called "White Teacher" by a Genius Award winner for the Gentleman's Book Club at the school where I work. 100% of our students are children of color. Nearly 90% of the teachers, and 100% of the male teachers are white. 3 gentleman showed up. 10 showed up for "The Fight" last year. 12 showed up for "The Watchmen."

My thoughts cycle back to many "liberal" people I overheard this summer during the World Cup saying they "just couldn't root for Germany" because of its recent history. Meanwhile, a German friend visited me and told me about attending a reading by female Holocaust survivors hosted in the equivalent of the Pentagon. Where is the U.S. in this process?

1 comment:

  1. If silence is "golden," then not showing up or being ignorant is what? Rusted? Condolences, Paul.

    ReplyDelete